The Boston Athletic Club's Crew.

For some time past it has been known that the old Harvard oarsmen, who are at present connected with the Boston Athletic Club were going to organize a crew to give the Harvard 'varsity crew practice. Mr. C. P. Curtis, '83, who stroked the 'varsity for the years of '81 and '82, is at the head of the matter, and under his management the crew promises to be a great success. The crew went on the water for the first time yesterday, with the following men in the boat, all of whom rowed on the 'varsity in former years: 1, Meyer: 2. Brooks, '87; 3, Russell, '85: 4, Borland, '86; 5, Burgess, '87; 6, Bacon, '80; 7, Peabody, '79; stroke, Curtis, '83.

The crew used an old shell belonging to the 'varsity, which has been entirely refitted for their use. They had never rowed together before, yet started out in the shell and gave an exhibition of rowing of which any crew might feel proud, especially when it is considered how much out of practice many must be. The two things particularly noticeable about the work of the crew was the time and watermanship, the latter above all. The crew promises to do good work and will probably give the 'varsity plenty of hard practice, if indeed not proving more than a match for it. There has long been need of some such sort of a crew, graduate coaching in many cases being better given when the coach has an oar in another boat. It is certainly to be hoped that this venture will meet with the success it deserves, and that every year there will be some such crew to give the aid only such a crew can give.