Resignation of President Robinson.

Brown University will suffer a serious loss in the resignation of its president, Dr. E. G. Robinson, who will withdraw from the presidency of the University at the end of the present college year. Dr. Robinson is now 74 old and during his whole life has been very active. He is still remarkably powerful, physically and mentally, but feels that the fullest development of the college requires the services of a younger man.

Dr. Robinson will probably retain his professorship of moral and intellectual philosophy as well as the Elton professorship of Natural Theology. John L. Lincoln, professor of Latin language and literature, is spoken of as a temporary holder of the presidency, but no one has as yet been decided on to fill the place permanently. Prof. Elisha Benjamin Andrews who left the professorship of history and political economy last year to go to Cornell, is one of the most prominent candidates for the presidency and it is highly probable that he will be called to fill the place. President Robinson was graduated at Brown in 1838 and at Newton in 1842. He preached for a while in the South and was professor of Hebrew at Covington, Ky., in the theological seminary until the anti-slavery agitation changed the charter of the seminary. He then went to the Rochester Theological Seminary in 1853, and in 1872 he was elected president of Brown University, succeeding Dr. Alexis Caswell.