Thomas Parker Sanborn.

The announcement of the sudden death of Thomas Parker Sanborn, (A. B., 1886), will be sad news for the large number of friends who knew him during his college life, and the class of Eight-six will feel that it has indeed lost a member whose earlier years gave promise of a brilliant future.

While at Harvard, Sanborn gave evidence of no little literary ability. In his sophomore year he was chosen as poet for the class dinner, and his classmates will remember the clever lines he read on that occasion. During his whole course he was interested deeply in the college press. He was an editor of the Advocate, and was president of the Lampoon board, while he was one of those who founded the Monthly. In his junior year he won the Bowdoin prize by his dissertation on "The Rights and Duties of a Biographer." His senior year was one of unusual activity, for in addition to his work on the college papers, he took a prominent part in the O. K. Society, and acted as librarian and Kr. in the Hasty Pudding Club. At the senior election he was chosen to write the class ode, and the selection proved a very happy one. In spite of his manifold outside interests, his record in scholarship was a good one, as he received degree cum lauds, and also obtained honorable mention in History.

After his graduation he joined the staff of the Springfield Republican, with which he was connected at the time of his death. In the columns of this paper appears the following tribute to his memory:

"He was exceedingly clever and witty in conversation, and entertaining in a high degree; he wrote verse with charming grace, and had a particularly delicate skill in the turning of fine prose sketches. He could hardly have failed in a literary career, had he lived." J. A. F.