Dr. Wheeler's Lecture.

"THE MARBLES OF THE PARTUENON."

Yesterday afternoon Dr. Wheeler finished his lecture, begun Monday, on "The Marbles of the Parthenon." The lecture was largely taken up with descriptions of the sculptured figures on the western pediment, as contrasted with those on the other pediments. The figures on the western pediment are varied both in character and in execution. Many of them have been injured and almost destroyed by the time and weather, but enough still remain to show us that the marbles were figured in the most delicate manner. In many places, however, the figures are almost intact, and there the beautiful outlines serve to show the skill of the sculptors. The most remarkable thing to be noticed about the Marbles throughout the Parthnon is the carefulness with which the sculptors completed their work in every part. It made no difference to them whether a part of the figures was to be covered and never seen by the people they took as much pains to make these parts as perfect in detail as those which were in open view.

The frieze forms one of the most important parts of the sculptures in the Parthenon. It represents the procession at the Panathenaea, the greatest of the Athenian festivals. The basreliefs stand out boldly representing the whole progress of the procession, the chariots, the horses, and the armed youths, then the old men bearing olive branches and the young girls carrying baskets on their heads. From the western frieze, step by step, the figures become quieter in their character, changing from martial scenes to those of religious rites. The whole of this Panathenaic frieze now forms one of the most splendid of the works of art. The sculpturing is delicate and clear while the positions could be hardly more graceful. Moreover there is no superabundance of figures; every one is necessary and helps to give the beautiful effect to the whole.

Dr. Wheeler will give the last lecture in the series next Monday, his subject being "The Erectheum."