Exeter Winter Meeting.

The second annual winter meeting of the Phillips Exeter Athletic Association was held Saturday afternoon at the Academy gymnasium. It was "ladies' day," and the gymnasium was crowded with ladies, Exeter alumni, and a delegation from Philips Andover. The meeting was conducted under the direction of Mr. Dudley, Harvard, '87, at present gymnasium instructor at Exeter, and it was a noteworthy success, reflecting great credit upon the Academy. There were in all seventy-two entries. The first event, the fence vault, was won by Shead, '89, with a vault of 6 feet, 7 3-4 inches, breaking the Exeter record by 5 inches. Heywood, '89. won the running high jump, with a record of 5 feet, 4 1-4 inches. Heffelfinger and Shead wsre tied for second place. The club-swinging, which followed next, was fairly contested. For the horizontal bar there were five entries, and this proved one of the most interesting, most skillfully executed events of the day. Hassaurek, '92, won first prize with Hammond, '89, second. Another Exeter record was beaten in the standing high jump, Shead clearing 4 feet, 8 1-4 inches. Heywood was second. The tumbling was entered by ten men, and was another well-contested event. Word, '90, and S. G. Wood, '89, won first and seccond places respectively. The shot putting contest was a surprise to all. Ford entered as a favor to the other contestants, and without training, won with a put of 31 feet, 5 inches. The usual movements on the parallel bar were well executed, and Word, '90, and Greeley, '92, were the winners. The last record of the meeting was made by Heywood in the high kick. He reached 9 feet, 1-4 inch, thus breaking the Exeter record by 4 3 4 inches. In the tug-of-war between '90, and '92, who won the trial heats on Wednesday, March 8, '92 won the drop, and head this advantage till the end. This is the first time that the preparatory class has ever won the event.

The senior class won eight first and five second prizes, thus carrying off the day. The result of the meeting as a whole show commendable energy and remarkably high standard in in-door athletics at Exeter. The Exonian issued an extra containing a full report of the meeting.