The Chapel Service.

The Rev. Professor William T. Tucker of the Andover Theological Seminary, preached at Appleton Chapel last evening. He took his text from Matthew vi:2, where Christ, speaking of the Pharisees, says, "Verily I say unto you, they have their reward." He said that often where a principle finds an apt illustration as here, we bound the principle by the illustration. But here the principle is so important that we must not lose it thus. It is Christ's purpose to teach that the personal reward of an action corresponds, and is proportionate to the motive. He applied this princilpe to the prayer, fastings and charity of the Pharisees; their motive was that they should be seen of men, and they had their reward in the gratification of their vanity. Our own charity is often governed by the same motive and receives the same reward; and the same is true of many of our actions. In drawing some of the broader lessons from the thought, Dr. Tucker spoke of the effect of the principle upon the judgment, upon the conscience, and upon the work of the spirit of God in men. In closing he urged that there be more of quality and less of quantity in our religion, that we drop the seeming and stand forth as we really are.

The choir sang Tours' "In Thee, O Lord," Marting's "Thy Sustaining grace," and "Look down, O Lord," by Mendelssohn in which the solo was sang by S. L. Swarts, of the Law School.