The Chapel Service.

The Rev. Professor F. G. Peabody preached in Appleton Chapel last evening. He took his text from the 19th verse of the 2d chapter of the Epistle of Paul to Timothy. The foundation of Christianity, Dr. Peabody said, is, according to the Pauline doctrine, a belief in one real God, in one real truth, and not in the mass of doctrine accumalated by years. Man should not have many beliefs, but much belief in something. Let the essentials for religious conviction grow less as man grows older, but let them grow larger; that would not show a decline of faith, but a renewed stability.

The corner stones of this studio foundation consists in the doctrines of the relation of God to man, and in the doctrine of true christian conduct, or as Paul puts it, "the Lord knoweth them that are His," and "Let everything that nameth Christ depart from iniquity." Character without creed, ethics without religion, one side of the cornerstone without the other, the other, the apostle says, is impossible: they are both the same thing, looked at from a different point of view.

The choir sang "All Glory, Land, and Honor," by Schumann; Mr. Swarts of the Law School sang a solo, "Jerusalem," and Messrs. Swarts and Shippen sang a duet.