Dartmouth, 6; Harvard, 4.

The Dartmouth College team defeated Harvard yesterday on Holmes field in a well played game. With the exception of the first inning, Harvard played a strong game. In that inning, however, the play was wretched, and Dartmouth obtained a lead which the Harvard team was unable to overcome during the rest of the game. At several points in the game a base hit would have tied the score, but it was in no case forthcoming, In fact the poor batting of Harvard was one of the features of the game. Only four hits were made, and of these, two were scratches. Downer was steady at critical points, but the Dartmouth team, as the heavy batting totals indicate, had no difficulty in gauging his delivery. In the beginning of the game he was rather wild and in the first inning he gave bases on balls to three men, two of whom scored. The base running, what there was of it, was good, but there was little chance for a high total of stolen bases, so seldom did Harvard men get on bases. The first inning was a disastrous one for Harvard. In all the games so far this season the nine fails to settle down to steady work until after the first inning, and in that inning the game is often lost.

The Dartmouth team played a good game straight through. Baehr was effective. He was wild, however, and hit the batsman at least a half dozen times. The visitors batted finely and played with great spirit. Their weak point was their base running.

Dartmouth was first at the bat. Williams got his base on Linn's muff and stole second. Gault reached first on called balls, was advanced to second on Woodcock's sacrifice, and both he and Williams came home on Abbott's hit to left. Abbott reached second on the attempt to throw Gault out at the home plate, and scored on Hoyt's hit to right. Jones got first on balls. was advanced a base on Hoyt's hit, and going to third on Hoyt's put out reached the home plate on Quakenboss's muff of Baehr's fly. Hoyt made a clean base hit to right but was out for running out of the base line. Beahr stole second, and came home on Downor's wild throw to Willard. Harvard was blanked in her half of the inning. In the second inning Gault got his base on balls, stole second, reached third on Henshaw's wild throw to Downer, and came home on Woodcock's hit. Woodcock was put out trying to steal second. Abbott made a three base hit to left, but did not reach home, Jones striking out. This was the last of Dartmouth's run getting. In four innings after that two men were on bases but Harvard's playing was steady and they failed to score. In the second inning, Henshaw and Schroll got bases on balls, were advanced each a base by a passed ball, and came home on Evan's hit to left. In the fourth inning Schroll got first on a muffed third strike, reached second on Evan's second hit, third on a steal, and home on Hoyt's muff of Linn's fly. After this Harvard failed to score. Dean's base running deserves mention and Howland's beautiful running catch in the last inning saved two runs. Appended is the score:

DARTMOUTH.A. B. R. BH. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Williams, s.s. 5 1 2 3 1 2 0

Gault, 1b. 3 2 0 0 8 0 0

Woodcock, c. f. 5 0 2 2 1 0 0

Abbott, 3b. 4 1 2 4 1 0 0

Jones, c. 4 1 2 3 8 0 1

Hoyt, l. f. 5 0 2 3 1 0 1

Baehr, p. 5 1 0 0 2 11 5

Norton, 2b. 4 0 2 2 3 2 0

Viau, r. f. 3 0 0 0 2 0 0

Totals 38 6 12 17 27 15 7

HARVARD.A. B. R. BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Linn, r. f. 4 0 1 1 0 0 1

Howland, c. f, 4 0 0 0 2 0 0

Quackenboss, 3b. 4 0 0 0 2 2 1

Willard, 1b. 4 0 0 0 7 1 0

Henshaw, c. 3 1 0 0 10 1 2

Schroll, 2b. 3 2 0 0 3 3 0

Dean, s.s. 2 0 0 0 1 1 0

Evans, l. f. 4 1 3 3 1 0 0

Downer, p. 4 0 0 0 0 9 7

Totals. 34 4 4 4 26 17 11

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dartmouth. 5 1 0 0 0 0 9 0-6

Harvard. 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0-4

Hoyt out for for running out of base line. Two-base hits-Williams, Jones, Hoyt. Three-base hit-Abbot. First base on balls-Dartmouth 6, Harvard 5. First baseon errors-Dartmouth 8, Harvard 7. Struck out-Dartmouth 8, Harvard 9. Stolen bases-Williams, Gault Jones, Bachr, Vian, Schroll, Dean (3) Passed balls-Jones (3). Flies caught-Dartmouth 10, Harvard 5. Fouls caught-Dartmouth 2, Harvard 1. Out on bases-Dartmouth 3. Left on bases-Dartmouth 10, Harvard 7. Time-1 hour, 55 minutes. Umpire Mr. Weeden.