The Need of a Change in the Form of Government at Yale.

It has long been known that the alumni of Yale desire a change in the form of government of the college Yale is the most conservative of at American colleges, and this conservatism is in a large measure traceable to the Corporation. The majority of the Corporation is composed of a self perpetuating body of ten clergymen representing the Congregational church of Connecticut; besides these there are six representatives of the alumni in the governing board. But the clergymen, as a selfappointed majority, have control of the financial and educational policy of the college, and indeed of all matters connected with the college since the corporation is the ultimate board of appeal.

It is true that the six representatives of the alumni infuse considerable life into the board, but not enough to represent fairly a body of graduates so widely scattered throughout the country as are those of Yale. The alumni of Yale point to Harvard where the method of government embodies what they desire at Yale and they say that the results obtained from the method here, justify the placing of the government of a great institution into the hands of its representative graduates.

Any step towards a change in the form of government at Yale must come from within the corporation. In this In this connection the Boston Herald recently said; It is the hope of many that when the next clerical vacancy is the corporation occurs, the place may be filled by one who is not a Congregationalist minister, or by a minister of that faith who resides out of the state, This would give an opportunity of bringing before the supreme court of the state a friendly suit to determine whether the corporation had exceeded its powers, and, if the case were heard before the full bench, it is possible that a change might be reached in the makeup of the corporation which would make it more thoroughly representative of the large position which Yale ought to occupy as a national institution.