Williams, 8; Harvard, 5.

Harvard was beaten 8 to 5 in a seven innings game by Williams at Williamstown Saturday afternoon. The day was stormy and made good playing out of the question, but the condition of the weather does not account for the utterly reckless manner and lack of determination shown by Harvard. The men that constitute the Harvard University nine ought to understand by this time that they are expected to make at least a fair showing. What the result of a Harvard-Princeton game will be, judging from Saturday's and other games played so far this season, is too ridiculous to imagine.

Harvard's battery was weak, allowing seven men first on called balls and seven Williams men to steal bases. Hawley struck out four men. According to the now established rule Harvard went all to pieces after the first inning, both in batting and fielding. Harvard got four runs in the first inning and only one more during the entire game and that in the fifth. In the third Williams got five. Williams was first at the bat. Hawley struck out the first man, Wilson; Brown got a hit and by stealing bases and a base hit of Hotchkiss, got home. Harvard had ten men at the bat in the first inning and scored four runs on three hits, three bases on balls and an error. In the second, owing to errors and a wild pitch Campbell scored. Howland and Quackenboss got out together on a fine double play by Woodward, Brown and Hotchkiss; Williard struck out. The third opened by Williams batting heavily and on account of three errors and two bases on balls made five runs. three after two men were out. W. H. Brown made a stop of a hot grounder off Linn's in the fourth and assisted Hotchkiss. Willard [scored the last run on a wild pitch, The umpire called the game when seven full innings had been played, on account of the rain. O. S. Brown and Howlrnd led the batting with three and two hits respectively. W. A. Brown of Williams took eleven chanese without an error. Woodward's error let in two runs in the first, and Dean's two errorsin the third were costly.

WILLIAMS.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Wilson, p 5 1 1 1 0 6 9

O. S. Brown, c.f. 4 1 3 3 1 1 1

Clarke, c 3 0 1 1 5 0 0

Hotchkiss, 1b 3 0 1 1 7 1 1

W. A. Brown, 2b 4 1 0 0 5 6 0

Cox, r. f. 3 1 0 0 1 0 0

Arthur, l. f. 3 0 0 0 0 0 0

Woodward, s. s. 3 1 0 0 0 2 1

Oampbell, 3b 2 3 1 1 1 1 0

Totals 30 8 7 7 20 17 12

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Linn, c. f. 3 0 0 0 1 1 0

Howland, c. 4 1 2 2 10 0 0

Quackenboss, 3b 4 1 0 0 1 1 2

Willard, 1b 3 2 1 1 6 0 0

Schroll, r. f. 3 1 0 0 2 0 0

Hawley, p. 2 0 0 0 0 4 9

Mumford, s. s. 3 0 1 1 1 3 1

Dean, 2b. 1 0 1 1 0 2 2

Evans, l. f. 2 0 1 1 0 0 0

Totals 25 5 6 6 21 11 14

Innings 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Williams 1 1 5 0 1 0 0-8

Harvard 4 0 0 0 1 0 0-5

Earned runs-Williams 3, Harvard 2; stolen bases-O. S. Brown, Hotchkiss, Cox, Arthur, W. A. Brown, Woodward, Campbell, Howland Dean, Willard, Mumford; first base on balls-Clarke, Hotchkiss, Cox, Arthur, Woodward, Campbell (2), Linn, Willard, Hawley, Dean (2), Evans, Schroll; first base on errors-Williams 4, Harvard 2; left on bases-Williams 7, Harvard 6; struck out-Wilson, Clarke, W. A. Brown, Arthur, Willard, Schroll, Hawley, Quackenboss; double plays-Woodward, W. A. Brown, Hotckiss; wild pitches-Wilson 2, Hawley 2; passed balls-Clarke, Howland (2); time-1h, 45 m; umpire-Bond of Boston.

Evans out for not touching base.