The Boylston Prize Speaking.

The annual competition for the "Boylston Prizes for Declamation" occured last evening in Sanders Theatre. The number of candidates who presented them serves at the preliminary trial was larger this year than usual. Over thirty men spoke before the committee at this preliminary trial and the twelve who were chosen from these spoke last night. The order of the spoke last night. The order of the speakers was as follows:

1. John Cummings. The Prisoner of Chillon.- Byron.

2. Henry Bradford Washburn. What is Human Knowledge? -Edward Everett.

3. Harry Edwin Burton. Under the Flag.- Wendell Phillips.

4. Myron Francis Hill. The Diver.- Schiller.

5. Harvey Humphrey Baker. Pro Milone.- Cicero.

6. Frederic Sprague Goodwin. to the Young Men of Massachusetts-Carl Schurz.

Intermission of five minutes.

7. Edward Stetson Griffing. American Nationality.- Rufus Choate.

8. William Edward Burghardt DuBois.

American Battle Flags.- Carl Schurz.

9. George Bridges Henshaw. The New South.- Henry W. Grady.

10. Robert Treat Whitehouse. Hofer's Defence.

11. Leroy Blanchard Williams. Concerning Affairs in America.- Chatham.

12. Francis Parkman Denny. Invidious Distinctions.- Hugh S. Legare.

The men all spoke well. Perhaps the best effort of the evening was that of H. E. Burton, '90, who delivered Wendell Phillips' "Under the Flag" in really admirable manner.

Many of those present remembered Mr. E. B. DuBois, '90, as one of the prize winners last year. His interpretation of Carl Schurz's speech on "American Battle Flags" showed that be has materially improved during the year.

H. H. Baker, '91, caught the spirit of Cicero's oration, but failed to give it a powerful expression. F. G. Goodwin, '91, on the other hand, gave one of Carl Schurz's orations a forcible and intelligent rendering, and his effort must be regarded as one of the most enjoyable of the evening. G. B. Henshaw, '90, spoke Grady's "The New South" in an effective manner.

The judges were: President Chas W. Eliot, Edward W. Hooper, Esq., Prof. Henry W. Haynes, Justin Winsor, Esq., Lyman R. Williston, Esq., A. McF. Davis, Esq., Prof. John H. Wright, Rev. Geo. A. Gordon, Frank Bolles, Esq., George Lyman Kittredge, Esq.

They awarded the two first prizes of sixty dollars each to H. E. Burton and W. E. B. DuBois, the three second prizes of forty-five dollars each to H. H. Baker, F. S. Good win and G. B. Henshaw. The award gave general satisfaction.