Harvard, 12; Newark, 10.

Yesterday afternoon on Holmes field, a small number of spectators witnessed an exciting game between the 'varsity and the Newarks a professional team belonging to the Atlantic league. The Newarks have held the reputation of being a strong team until lately, when they have dropped to fourth place in their league. Shaw, who pitched for them, played his first game of the season and was batted freely; his ridiculous manner created much applause. Linn has hurt his hand and has been unable to play the last two games. His place at right field was filled yesterday by Cummins '92, a member of the present freshman nine. Dean was placed at the head of the batting order. In the box, Hawley did fairly good work. He gave no men bases on balls and struck out three. He was hit very freely, however, Newark getting twelve hits with a total of seventeen. The nine as a whole still lack the ability to make quick decisions and allow men to get bases at times when there is no excuse for it. By this time every man ought to know what to do, even if there are three men on bases. Another fact is noticeable. In nearly every game so far there has been one disastrous inning when the 'varsity seem to lose control of themselves and the opposing team makes anywhere from three to seven rurs. The necessity of more care at such times is apparent.

The game started with Newark at the bat. The first man got out at first and the following two struck out. Harvard also did nothing. Two flies and Doom's running out of line put Newark out again. Henshaw got first on balls and Hawley a hit on which Henshaw got home. Mumford got first in the attempt to put Hawley out and by a passed ball also got home.

Duffy led off the next by a three base hit, Smith's single and Mumford's error brought two men in. Coogan reached first by utter carelessness. Dean got his three base hit as first man in the next inning. and errors brought him in. Howland also reached the plate aided by a wild throw but Willard got caught between third and home. Henshaw made another run by a hit and an error, and Mumford who was on third was brought home by a ball which hit the umpire. Newark got one run and three hits in the next. Harvard did nothing. Newark played an old trick in a firstrate manner and got a double play. Both Harvard and Newark were shut out in the next two innings. In the seventh Harvard went to pieces and Newark got seven runs with seven hits for ten. Harvard, however, was able to meet the occasion, and got four runs with three hits for four, and tied the score. In the next Dean and Howland both made runs and Newark was shut out. Henshaw and Howland exchanged places in the eighth. Henshaw accepted two chances for assists. The score:

HARVARD.AB. R. BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 5 3 1 3 4 5 1

Howland, 3b. 4 2 1 1 2 2 0

Willard, 1b. 4 1 1 2 11 0 0

Henshaw, c., 3b. 3 3 1 1 4 3 0

Hawley, p. 5 1 2 2 1 6 0

Mumford, ss. 4 2 0 0 0 5 3

Cummings, l.f. 4 0 2 2 0 0 0

Evans, c. f. 3 0 0 0 1 1 0

Cummin, r.f. 3 0 0 0 0 0 1

Totals. 35 12 8 11 23 22 5

NEWARK.AB. R, BH. TB. PO. A. E.

McDermott, 2b. 4 0 0 0 6 4 1

Coogan, rf. 5 1 1 1 1 0 0

Fields, 1b. 5 1 1 3 5 0 0

Mansell, cf. 5 1 1 1 0 0 0

Dooms, lf. 5 2 2 2 2 0 0

Jones, 3b. 5 1 0 0 5 0 5

Duffy, c. 5 2 3 5 4 2 0

Smith, ss. 5 1 3 4 4 5 0

Shaw, p. 5 1 1 1 0 5 0

Totals. 44 10 12 17 27 16 6

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard. 0 2 4 0 0 0 4 2-12

Newark. 0 0 2 1 0 0 7 0 0 10

Earned runs-Harvard 2, Newark 5; two-base hits-Willard, Smith; three base hits-Dean, Duffy, Fields; first base on balls-Harvard 7. Newark 0; first base on errors-Harvard 12, Newark 5; struck out-Harvard 3, Newark 3; passed balls-Harvard 1, Newark 1; double plays-Newark 1; out on bases-Harvard 9, Newark 1; left on bases-Harvard 5, Newark 6; time-134 hours; umpire-Mr. Quinn of Boston.

Dooms out for running out of line.