Professor Cohn's Lecture.

THE CENTENNIAL OF THE FRENCH REVOLUTION.

Last evening Sever 11 was well filled by an audience who listened to Professor Cohn's lecture on "The Centennial of the French Revolution," The speaker said that owing to the frequent changes in government during the past century, the French nation was often accused of fickleness. This was a false charge for these uprisings are due to the most remarkable steadfastness. A nation which has passed through a third baptism of blood, while struggling towards its constant goal in spite of the hostility of a whole continent, shows a heroic firmness. It is a remarkable fact that all the French governments of the past century have proclaimed their acceptance of the principles of the Revolution. The first Napoleon, though at heart opposed to the liberty of the people, found himself unable to withstand the current of events, and even claimed for himself many of the great reforms which the impulse of freedom produced. Even when the old dynasty returned in 1815 and attempted to sweep away all the effects of the Revolution, they were eventually obliged to establish a government even freer than Napoleon's They could not restore a trace of the social inequalities, The new government established in 1830 was no contradiction of the Revolutionary principles but a step nearer a republic than the reactionary Bourbonism had been. It proved, however, impossible for the new king to follow the movement toward liberty, and he was driven from his throne. The government of Napoleon III again obtamed the support of the nation by promising to recognize the principles of 1789.

During the last century France has had to expiate her crime of allowing so many centuries of evil government. But now at last she is free. It is not a prince of the royal blood, but a man made famous by the movement for liberty, who is now the ruler of the country. The nation has finally reached the goal toward which it has been struggling, and is only the more fixed there for her agonies. Social as well as political lessons have been taught by the Revolution. The government now recognizes the necessity of education for the masses of the people, and is spending money freely on the schools, even though it is deeply in debt. The present annual appropriation is 150,000,000 francs, and this is constantly increasing. This shows that the principles of the Revolution have not been lost, and even should a cloud overshadow the government, it will inevitablp soon be dispelled by a new upheaval.

The European governments which are now standing aloof from the centennial festivities of France, are the ones which always tried to check, the current of liberty. They feel that a blow has been struck at royalty and are unwiling to recognize the country which held the sword.

The consequences of this festival will probably be very great, they will be felt chiefly through their influence upon education. The French Revolution will henceforth be held up to the schools and colleges of France, just as the American Revolution is in the United States. Hence succeeding generations will grow up filled with the spirit of republicanism, and the benefits of the great Revolution will be secured for future years.