Departure of the Crews for New London.

The 'varsity and freshmen crews leave for New London by the Shore Line at one o'clock today. The crews will occupy the same quarters at New London that they have in previous years, and will be looked after in much the same manner. J. E. Storrow, '85, will continue to coach the 'varsity crew, and will have full control until the day of the race. Professor Hart will accompany the crew and will act as proctor while the men are finishing their examinations.

It is probable that the new cedar shell built for the crew by Blakie, the Cambridge builder, will be used in the race with Yale on June 28. The boat has only been used for two days, but it seems to suit the crew very well. A paper shell, a double and a pair-oar will also be taken. The launch has been sent around the cape, instead of by rail; it is a staunch boat and can stand the run.

The make-up of the crew is not yet definitely settled. Storrow, '89, has recently come into the boat and this has caused some changes. He was tried at bow and at three, but will probably row at three in place of Perry. It is possible that Perkins may row at two instead of Longworth. Captain Herrick will not determine the way the crew which will row Yale will be made up until the men are settled at New London.

The general work of the crew is ragged; the time is bad and the blade work splashy. Altogether considerable improvement must be made before the crew will be in really satisfactory shape. It is expected, however, that great improvement will be made while the men are at New London. They will have every facility for better training, and will be able to give their undivided attention to the work. The crew is rowing at present as follows:

AGE. WEIGHT.

Stroke, R. F. Herrick 22 lbs154

7, J. B. Hutchinson 21 55

6, B. T. Tilton 20 182

5, J. R. Finlay 19 188

4, J. S. Cranston 23 184

3, E. C. Storrow 21 144

2, N. Longworth 20 165

1, S. Sanford 23 155

Average 21 165 7-8

Coxswain, J. E. Whitney, 100 pounds.

Substitutes, G. Perry, age 21, 162 pounds.

Perkins, age 19, 161 pounds.

The following is a detailed criticism of the work of the men:

Stroke-Has improved much, but is a trifle slow at the start, losing his slide.

7-Takes it hard, slumps in the middle, and does not always follow well.

6-Rows well, but his finish is not good.

5-Goes too far back on the finish, a common fault with the crew.

4-Holds his oar too high, clips, and rows short; does not get power on his oar well; has improved greatly.

3-Rows one of the best oars in the boat. It is not settled certainly that he will row.

2-Fails to get power on his oar most advantageously.

1-Rows short, and swings back at the finish.

The freshman crew will leave for New London with the 'varsity. There may be some changes in the boat before the race, but it is not probable. The crew is made up as follows:

WEIGHT.

1. Rantoul, bow lbs. 150

2. Dewey 158

3. Powers 150

4. Steadman 164

5. Jones 160

6. Watriss 156

7. Kidder 156

8. Goddard 172

Average 158 1-4

Coxswain, Amory, 114

Substitutes, Hubbard 152

Cheney 142

The crew has been coached by Alexander, L. S., and has done good work under his charge; he will coach the crew while at New London. The members of the crew are too young, and consequently have not control of their bodies and lack firmness and precision, The crew is much younger than usual, the average age being only about eighteen years. They are not steady, and are stiff and "loggy;" they roll badly and therefore their time is bad; their blade work is sloppy. The members of the crew are very absent-minded, and this tends to increase the faults in their rowing form. When the oars are in the water the men lose time in getting their weight on, and do not sweep firmly through; the stroke is irregular, and there are not enough firm oars to keep the boat steady.

The following detailed criticism is furnished by the coach: stroke, drops at full reach, and does not finish soon enough; shortens finish, meets his oar, and does not keep a firm oar.

7, Too stiff, does not get a good swing, is slow and does not help stroke enough; clips, and feathers under the water.

6. Is not well braced on the stretchers, rushes his slide, catches the water ahead of the stroke, and does not drive his oar through, hangs at full reach and rows short.

5. Slow; sweeps through well but slumps at the finish; starts slow, and catches behind the stroke, because he lets his outside shoulder go at full reach.

4. Absent-minded; has improved since class races, but has the common fault of rushing at full reach, and is slow in getting the power on his oar; hits the water on his recovery.

3. Clumsy; rushes his slide badly, and catches the water ahead of the stroke; swings back too far, shoots low and does not keep up the time of the stroke; oar is fair but not free enough.

2. Short man and cannot get a long sweep; is strong but absent-minded; clips, feathers under the water, and drops at full reach.

1. Stiff, drops at full reach. clips, and rows short.