Lowell, 4; Harvard, 1.

A long and uninteresting game was played on Holmes field yesterday afternoon between the 'varsity nine and the professional Lowell team. So few spectators attended the game that there was some excuse for the utter lack of life which the Harvard team showed. The fielding was by no means clean, and all the infielders made very bad errors. The batting was even weaker, while the coaching was contemptible. At no point in the game did the home team show the slightest energy. In the Yale game on Thursday, Harvard will not have the slightest chance if she plays a game anything similar to that of yesterday. The men on the coaching lines seemed to think their only duty lay merely in listlessly watching the game. and giving an occasional glance toward the base runner. It was seldom that the coacher gave the base runner any advice, and it was still more seldom that the runner followed it when given.

The game was played very slowly and did not end until nearly half-past six. Lowell was first at the bat. Dean assisted Day out to Willard. Staltz got his base on balls and stole second. Dwyer flied out to Howland, but Murphy made a single bringing Staltz home. Murphy was caught by Downer and Howland between second and third. Dean and Linn were out on easy grounders to pitcher and first base. Howland got his base on balls, but Willard hit an easy ball to the pitcher and was retired at first. In the second inning, Lowell's first two men went out, the first on a high fly to Dean, and the second, Downer to Willard. Kellogg got a life on Downer's fumble, but was left on first base. For Harvard, Henshaw and Hawley got bases on balls, but were left when the next three men went out in order. Lowell was retired in order the next inning, Linn making a good running catch of Gunnasso's hit. Dean got his first on balls, stole second, took third on Linn's sacrifice and home on Howland's. This was Harvard's only run. Howland got first on the attempt to put Dean out at the plate, but was doubled up in failling to get back to first base after Willard's long fly to right field.

In the fourth inning, with one man out, Murphy got his base on balls and was advanced to second on Hamilton's out. He reached third on the single of Driscoll who immediately took second. Kellogg got a base on balls and the bases were full. Kellogg took a lead half way up to second base. Willard took the ball and walked slowly up to second to put Kellogg out, trying at the same time to keep Murphy on third base. When Willard had almost reached second base Murphy made a dash for home. Willard threw wild to Henshaw, and Murphy was home with the other men advanced a base. Kellogg started for third base and the ball was thrown to put him out. Driscoll mean while came home, and Kellogg got third on the attempted out at the plate. The playing by Harvard in this inning was ludicrous to say the least. In this inning Henshaw hit safely but was forced out at second. Hawley got first on Henshaw's out, was advanced by Evens, made a good steal of third, but was left there, the next two men going out. In the fifth Lowell got three men on bases but good work by Harvard's outfielders prevented any run-getting. Harvard went out in one, two three order in this and the next inning. Lowell made her last run in the eighth inning Kellogg got his base on balls and stole second and third, coming in on Henshaw's wild throw to Howland. Willard got his base on balls but was forced at second. Henshaw fouled out. Hawley reached first on Willards out, and stole second. Evans was easily retired, pitcher to first base. In the last inning Dwyer made a hit but the next three men went out in order. In Harvard's half, Corning, Downer and Linn were all easy outs.

The Lowell team played a good fielding game, and Gunnasso caught well. Henshaw's throwing to bases was very poor, but most of the poor play can be accounted for by the fact that the grounds were wet, and the ball slippery. The score:

LOWELL.AB. R. BH. TB. PO. A. E.

Day, 2b. 4 0 0 0 5 0 0

Staltz, lf. 4 1 0 0 1 0 0

Dwyer, rf. 5 0 1 1 2 1 0

Murphy, cf. 3 1 2 2 1 0 0

Hamilton, 1b. 5 0 0 0 10 0 0

Driscoll, 3b. 4 1 2 2 1 2 0

Kellogg, ss. 2 1 0 0 0 3 1

Sullivan, p. 4 0 0 0 0 10 1

Gunnasso, c. 4 0 1 1 7 1 0

Totals. 35 4 6 6 27 17 2

HARVARD.AB. R. BH. T.B PO. A. E.

Dean, 2b. 3 1 0 0 2 3 1

Linn, rf. 4 0 0 0 2 0 0

Howland, 3b. 2 0 0 0 4 2 1

Willard, 1b. 3 0 0 0 8 0 1

Henshaw, c. 3 0 1 1 7 2 1

Hawley, lf. 3 0 1 1 3 0 0

Evans, cf. 4 0 0 0 1 0 0

Corning, ss. 3 0 0 0 0 0 1

Downer, p. 4 0 0 0 0 7 1

Totals. 29 1 2 2 27 14 6

Innings. 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Lowell. 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 1 0-4

Harvard. 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0-1

First base on balls, by Sullivan 8, by Downer 6; first base on errors, Lowell 4, Harvard 2; struck out, Lowell 4, Harvard 4; wild pitches, Sullivan 1; double plays, Dwyer to Hamilton; left on bases, Lowell 9, Harvard 10; stolen bases, Lowell 6, Harvard 3; time 2 hrs., 25 min.; umpire, Mr. Quinn.