Amendments to the Regulations as to the Classification of Students.

The following important amendments have been made to the regulations of the faculty:

16. If at the end of any year, it should appear that a student has failed on the work of that year (12), or that his return of work satisfactorily done up to that time is deficient to the extent of two and a half courses, he will not be promoted from the class in which he stood to the next higher class.

17. A student who has failed of promotion under the operation of 16 is thereby placed upon probation unless he satisfies the faculty that his failure has not been due to neglect of his work.

18. A student who has failed of promotion under the operation of 16, and who wishes to pursue additional studies for the purpose of regaining his former standing, may do so under such conditions as may be deemed suitable in each case. In every case the list of studies which he proposes to pursue must receive the written approval of the Dean.

19. A student who has failed of promotion, and has taken additional studies as provided in 17, will be restored to his former class at the end of any year when it appears that he does not stand below Grade C in more than three courses, on an average, for each year up to that time, and his deficiency is less than two and a half courses.

It will be immediately seen that by the working of 16 and 17 any student who has failed to perform satisfactorily his work, and has been dropped from his class at the end of the year, will be put upon probation the next year, and will be subject to all the restrictions of men on probation; this means among other things that he will not be allowed to play on any college athletic team, or take part in any entertainment given by musical or other organizations of the college. The regulations will interfere with those men only who are disposed to slight their regular college work, in order to devote an unreasonable amount of time to outside interests.