Barnard College,

Barnard college, the woman's annex to Columbia, will soon be opened, and the examination of students for entrance will be held September 30th. A large house on Madison avenue has been rented and furnished by the trustees, and is already in readiness for the students. Many friends of woman's education have aided financially in the preparations for opening the college.

The most important feature of the college is the botanical laboratory, the gift of a few enthusiastic friends of botany. This has been fitted with apparatus mainly imported from Europe, and is considered the best fitted laboratory for women in the country. Especially does it offer superior opportunities for advanced courses in botany. The advantages offered in this department are for three classes of students. Those who hold first degrees from Barnard and other colleges, and desire to work for a higher degree, making a special study of botany; those who wish to study some one branch of botany, without reference to a degree; and, finally, undergraduates.

It is the purpose of Barnard college to offer women as thorough and as broad a training as can be obtained anywhere, and the trustees are now at work pushing the construction of chemical and physical laboratories, dormitories and recitation halls.