The New Gate.

Work is being pushed on the new entrance gate between Harvard and Massachusetts so that it will probably be done by the last of October. The structure including the entire distance between the two buildings will contain three entrances, two for pedestrians and one for carriages, while on each side of the carriage entrance and between that and the smaller entrances there will be a fountain, one for the people and the other for horses. The style of the whole work is Euglish of the seventeenth century, the bricks being laid in the "Flemish bond" to correspond with the main part of Harvard Hall. The centre posts will be 19 feet high, each capped with sandstone brought from Yorkshire, England. On the front of the centre posts there will be bas reliefs of the arms of Harvard College and the city of Cambridge, and on the back of the pillar the arms of the State of Massachusetts and an inscription. All the ironwork is hand wrought instead of welded, to give it the appearance of an old style of architecture. The gate when finished will be very effective, and will add a great deal to the beauty of the yard.