Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Communication.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

Editors Daily Crimson:

Fires so seldom occur in the college buildings that they are scarcely thought of in the ordinary course of college life. But this is no reason why the necessary precautions against them should be overlooked. Many of the dormitories are built in very old style with very little provision for escape in case of fire. The stair-ways are narrow and all wood, so that they would make a perfect flue for the flames. It ought to be the duty of the college to furnish every room above the ground floor with a rope or other means of escape-There are ropes in some of the rooms but not in all. Examination shows that Holworthy does not come under the law which requires ropes to be furnished to every room. This is strange as Holworthy is certainly as high as either Hollis or Stoughton. But it is still stranger that the college authorities should take advantage of a technicality to omit necessary precautions for the students' safety. All of the old buildings should have fire-escapes, but since they have not certainly ropes should be furnished for every room.