Cornell's Second Challenge.

By the following letter it will be seen that Cornell has again challenged Yale to an eight-oared race, leaving the conditions of the race entirely with Yale. Captain Allen of the Yale crew sent a very decided refusal to Cornell's challenge last December saying "We (Yale) will row with Harvard and with no other university." Cornell's challenge to Harvard, issued late in December was also refused for the same reasons. In spite of this seemingly final decision on the part of both Yale and Harvard, Cornell appears not to have given up hope of still arranging for a race with Yale. It is said that, if Yale refuses her challenge again, Cornell will issue another challenge to Harvard. It is decidedly improbable, however, that either Yale or Harvard will go back on their first decision. Following is the letter.

CORNELL UNIVERSITY.ITHACA, N. Y., Jan, 14, 1889.MR. PHILIP ALLEN, Captain Y. U. B. C, 227 Crown street, New Haven:

DEAR SIR-I write you once more to see if there is really no chance for a race between Yale and Cornell. We sincerely believe that we have the fastest university eight in America, and we are desirous of meeting a worthy foe and settling the question. We believe that the races Yale has won put her in such a position that she is in honor bound to receive a challenge from a crew with Cornell's record.

Moreover, we offer to row your distance of four miles, on your own course, and at such a time during the week of races as would be most convenient to you. Heretofore you have not found it at all trying to row two races in one week, and Cornell, by defeating Pennsylvania so decisively last year, would seem to merit as much consideration as has been shown to Pennsylvania in the past.

Hoping that you will see fit to re-consider your intention as expressed in your letter of December 13, I am, yours very truly.

C. J. SHEARN, Commodore Cornell Navy.