Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Theatres.

Merchant of Venice.

The Boston Theatre was filled last evening at the first presentation of the "Merchant of Venice" by Booth and Mme. Modjeska. Little need be said of the work of either of these principals. Their impersonations, Booth as Shylock and Modjeska as Portia were full of life and vividness throughout. Miss Craigen as Jessica put considerable earnestness into her part, and showed good capabilities. The play as a whole was well received, and, although some of the members of the company were second rate, the incomparable work of Booth and Modjeska more than made up for minor individual faults. Unwarrantable liberty had been taken with the original text in the adaptation for the stage.

Tonight "Much Ado About Nothing" will be given.

Colonel Tom.The Nat. C. Goodwin company which has just completed a very successful week in "A Gold Mine," began its third week at the Tremont theatre last evening with the first presentation on any stage of Steele Mackaye's new comedy, "Colonel Tom." The play is purely American, abounding in realistic scenes and incidents. The scenery by Charles Witham, was painted directly from photographs taken of the scene of the play in Charleston, S. C. and Newport, R. I. Mr. Goodwin considers that he has a great chance in this comedy and that the role is exactly to his liking. Next week Russell's Comedians appear in "The City Directory," the best farcical comedy on the stage.

London Assurance.Dion. Bouceicault's well known comedy, "London Assurance," was given last night at the museum. It deserves to rank high among the old English comedies which are being produced at that theatre. Miss Clark as Lady Gay Spanker, Mr. Pitt as Sir Harconet Courtly, and Mr. Wilson as Mark Meddle were admirable. The charming character of Grace Hathaway was adequately taken by Miss Sheridan, whose marked talent is familiar to theatre goers. The same play will be given again tomorrow.