Candidates for the Nine.

It has been reported that the recommendation of the Athletic committee in its recent regulations that no professional school student be allowed to be a member of a university team would deter many of last year's Harvard nine from being candidates this year. It is impossible to state accurately about the matter at present. The candidates for positions outside the battery will not begin training until after the midyears, and it cannot be ascertained until then how much the recommendation in question will have to do with keeping professional school men from trying for the team. It is probable that it will have little effect for the reason that there is at present so much doubt about the recommendation becoming a rule. According to its terms it is expressly provided that "other colleges should agree to its application in intercollegiate contests." Of course it is utterly impossible to predict now the action which the other colleges will take on this important question, and the matter is thus left in abeyance for a time.

The candidates for pitcher and catcher's positions began light work in the cage yesterday. They were coached by Clarkson. Easy but regular training will be continued until after the mid years when the men trying for other positions will begin systematic practice.