Addition to the Gymnasium.

An important addition just made to gymnasium is an enclosed place for jumpers. It is about eighteen inches wide and will, when in position, extend from under the running track to the middle of the floor. It has been constructed so as not to obstruct the floor except when in use, by having one half made in a solid piece, fastened by hinges under the track, so that it can be raised out of the way at a moment's notice by a rope fastened to the other end, and having the other half built in sections so that it can be taken to pieces, By means of the plane the jumper can throw his weight on the spring-board with much more effect than when he had to run along the floor.

A sheet of canvas is to be stretched across the gymnasium a few feet off from the spring board. It will be so suspended from the running track on both sides that it can be set perpendicularly for the men to jump against, or obliquely for them to jump into. The addition of the plane and canvas will not only make the jumping more exciting but will make it much better exercise.