News

Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

News

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

News

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

News

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

News

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Growth of Princeton.

NO WRITER ATTRIBUTED

The growth of Princeton during the decade now passed has been very rapid, but more especially during the last five years. The number of students in 1889 shows an increase of 50 per cent. over that of 1885 while the following tabulated statement gives the growth from 1877-78 to the present time. It will be seen that the totals do not correspond in all cases to the sums of the items; this is because allowance is made for the Fellows who also take post graduate courses:

Catecory1, Catecory2, Catecory3, Catecory4, Catecory5, Catecory6, Catecory7, Catecory8.

'77-8 28 8 44 398 49 6 496

'78-9 31 10 58 387 37 16 495

'79-80 34 8 40 365 47 13 473

'80-1 35 7 39 378 55 12 488

'81-2 37 9 54 400 55 23 538

'82-3 40 9 58 401 71 27 561

'83-4 41 8 54 370 80 15 526

'84-5 43 7 66 361 76 13 519

'85-6 41 7 58 340 76 19 497

'86-7 42 7 88 353 80 36 559

'87-8 45 10 78 398 76 49 603

'88-9 45 12 90 422 92 60 667

'89-90 48 12 101 454 113 88 768

The following is the gain of '89-'90 over '77-'78: Faculty 20, Fellows 4, post graduates 57, academic 61, scientific 64, specials 82. Total increase of students 272.

The invested funds of the college are $1,500,000, having nearly doubled since 1878. The whole university property, landed, funded, and other-wise amounts this year in round numbers to $4,000,000.

The libraries have been increased since 1879 by the addition of 49,800 volumes. The following statement shows the increase of each library:

1879. 1889.

College Library 43,500 70,000

American Whig Society, 16,000 18,000

Cliosophic Society, 16,000 18,000

Philadelphian Soctety 900 1,200

Seminary 30,000 51,000

Total 90,400 140,200

Probably the greatest improvement has taken place in the buildings and grounds which are donstdered by many as the finest college grounds in America. Since the year 1878, one hundred and sixty five acres have been added to the campus, making in all two hundred and twenty acres. Nine new buildings have been added: Edwards, University, and Murray Halls, the new President's house, Marquand chapel, the Biological laboratory, the Art museum, the Magnetic observatory, and the dynamo building. Enlargements have been made upon the School of Science and Nassua Hall, and four new buildings are to be built, two of which are now being built.

The curriculum has been broadened and enlarged. Twenty new professorships have been established and a great many of the courses now are elective. In the sophomore year four hours a week of electives are allowed; in the junior year, six hours, and in the senior year, ten hours. In the graduate department the courses since 1878 have more than doubled. Great importance is laid on this department. Another progressive feature at Princeton is the continual increase of cordiality existing between the faculty, alumni, and undergraduates. In 1875 there were five alumni associations. Now there are nineteen, all working actively for the college. In 1879, twenty-eight states and territories, and three foreign countries were represented among the students, while in 1889, thirty-five states and territories, and eight foreign countries were represented. Each class now on its decennial reunion leaves in the college some record of its existence. Seventy-six has given $1000, the yearly interest of which forms a prize for which representatives of the four classes compete in debate on February 22d. Seventy-seven presented the Biological laboratory; Seventy-eight founded a university lectureship; and Seventy-nine erected in the college chapel a mural statue in bronze of Dr. McCosh.

With all this growth and improvement there have arisen also needs which are becoming every year more imperative. The general endowment should be increased; the fellowships ought to be doubled, and new buildings are needed. The old recitation hall is too small for the requirements, and at least one new dormitory is wanted, while the need of a new gymnasium is especially urged.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags