The new club house of the Institute of 1779 at 64 Mt. Auburn was thrown open for the first time last evening, and a large number of present and past members thronged the house for several hours. The house has been refitted by subscription and will be open at all times hereafter. A steward will have charge of the cuisine, and breakfast and late suppers will be served to members.
Last evening the members had a thoroughly social time. Solos by Messrs. Garrison, Embick and Skinner, and choruses by a large number gathered in the club room down stairs furnished amusement. President Eliot and Mr. Chamberlain visited the club during the evening.
The rooms down stairs are the meeting room in which are the piano and large window seat; the library, where the valuable reference books and classics of the Institute library will be; the breakfast room and the butler's pantry. The kitchen is in the basement. Up stairs there are a secretary's room, overflow library, bath room and pool room. The latter will contain at one end the pictures and scores of the '92 teams; the rest of the room will be decorabed with various team pictures. It is hoped that as men leave college they will give pictures and other decorations to the club house. The expense will be met by the increased initiation fees and monthly dues, the steward's department being self-supporting.