Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male


Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest


Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections


City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum


FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Foot Ball.



The first foot ball game of the season was played on Jarvis Field, yesterday afternoon with Phillips Exeter academy eleven. Harvard played a very loose game, and lost ground repeatedly through the tendency of the rushers to get off-side. The tackling was not good, and Trafford was the only man who seemed to know anything about blocking off. All of the backs did some good rushing, but they were aided materially by the poor tackling of the Exeter backs. The playing of the academy team, against a much heavier lot of men was creditable; there is good material in the rush line, and Whitehead, at full-back, is a promising player,

The game began at 4.12 o'clock, Harvard having the ball and the east end of the field. Rushes by Corbett, Lake and Lee carried the ball to near the line, where Cumnock took it from Lee and deposited it behind the goal posts one and one-half minutes after play began. Trafford kicked the goal. Score 6-0. McNear took the place of Lake, who had been hurt, and six minutes after the ball had been put in play he made a pretty run through the line and scored the second touch-down; goal. Score 12-0. Five minutes later Lee ran through the whole Exeter team, and made the third; goal. Score 18-0. Harvard got the ball soon after it was put in play, but lost it immediately on account of interference. Offside play caused a further loss of five yards twice in succession. Then Blanchard stopped Whitehead's punt and secured the ball; Corbitt and Lee carried it to Exeter's ten yard line, and Trafford kicked a goal from the field. Two minutes later time was called ending a twenty minute half.

The second half began fifteen minutes later, and lasted fifteen minutes. Grouard took Arnold's place at halfback, and Booth played right guard instead of Sanborn. Two minutes after play began Lee scored a touch-down after a long run; no goal. Score 27-0. Three and a half minutes after this Blanchard secured a second touchdown, and Traflord kicked the goal. Score, 33-0. Repeated off-side play lost Harvard two touch-downs during the next few minutes, but Exeter was forced to make a touch-back. Score 35-0. Off-side play again lost Harvard a touch-down; but two minutes before time was called Corbett ran around the end and carried the ball over the line; Trafford kicked the goal, making the final score 41-0. The teams were made up as follows:

Harvard. Exeter.

Trafford. Full. Whitehead.

Corbett. Half. Maxwell.

Lake-McNear. Half. Arnold. Grouard.

Dean. Quarter. Thomas.

Lee. Rusher. Irvine.

Davis. Rusher. Colburn.

Blanchard. Rusher. Grant.

Cranston. Rusher. Squires.

Heard. Rusher. Sanborn-Booth.

Upton. Rusher. Leavitt.

Cumnock. Rusher. T. Thomas.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.