Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

No Headline

In view of our defeat by Princeton, it will perhaps be of interest to compare the advantages that foot-ball enjoys in the two colleges. At Princeton, there are, unless things have changed very recently, six regular teams, -the freshman, freshman scrub, sophomore, sophomore scrub, university, and university scrub. Of course other things being equal, six teams ought to develop three times as much material as two ; and the result is that ache year the team is composed mainly of seniors, who have had three years experience of the game. The university teams play before dinner from 12 to 1.30, and run about two miles ; they practice kicking and passing before supper, from 5 to 6 ; these hours contrast strongly with those of our team, beginning play seldom much before 4.30, and forced to stop by a twilight much earlier than that of Princeton. Princeton has no Boston near at hand, and the captain knows just about what all his men are doing in the way of training, -indeed they have to train to stand so much daily work. Princeton's great advantage of course lies in beginning work before the middle of September. Then as most of the men are upper classmen whose play and positions are comparatively well known, the team is soon permanently picked out, and an almost faultless team play results. Give Harvard, with her superior material, such foot-ball advantages as these, and our eleven would be the best in the country. To these add scientific coaching such as the Yale eleven gets, -coaching that would enable us to take our largest and best men and teach them the game, instead of taking what material the schools give us, -and we should have an eleven corresponding to those gentlemen cricket elevens in England, that beat the best professional elevens.