Undergraduates Celebrate Second Consecutive Virtual Housing Day

Dean of Students Office Discusses Housing Day, Anti-Racism Goals

Renowned Cardiologist and Nobel Peace Prize Winner Bernard Lown Dies at 99

Native American Nonprofit Accuses Harvard of Violating Federal Graves Protection and Repatriation Act

U.S. Reps Assess Biden’s Progress on Immigration at HKS Event

Communications.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON:- A note in your Fact and Rumor column of Wednesday touches upon the advisability of the tug-of-war. I agree with those who are discouraging these contests. A case where the dangerous consequences alluded to in your item did follow has come under my personal observation. It is that of a student in the Worcester Tech, some two years ago, who was so injured by the terrible strain of a tug-of-war that for months after he did not leave his bed. His whole life long he will suffer from his injuries. Similar cases are not so very rare. The danger is recognized by our rowing men, as witness the fact that no crew man is allowed to anchor.

What are the advantages of these contests? They are indeed, very exciting-for five minutes. And the wining class is highly gratified by the prowess of its team. But no reasons of healthful exercise, such as outweigh the dangers of foot-ball and base-ball, can be urged in favor of the tug-of-war. The excitement and the "glory" are the only reasons for its continuance.

It seems to me that these objects might be attained as well in some other way, without the danger of a classmate's being injured for life. At any rate, abolish the tug-of-war. '89.