History of Harvard University.

An interesting and concise history of Harvard University by William R. Thayer, A. M., author of "The Confessions of Hermes," "Hesper: An American Drama," formerly instructor in the English department has been reprinted from the "History of Middlesex County." As one looks over such an account of the corporate, material and intellectual growth of Harvard as well as of its legends and traditions, one is justified in feeling pride in the age of our University and in its progress since the days when Mr. Nathaniel Eaton and his usher Nathaniel Briscoe comprised the faculty. Such a review shows how indissolubly the college is linked with the names of those who are best known in the history of the Common wealth.

The most interesting part of the sketch is, however, less the necessarily dry record of elections and bequests than the account of student life, etc. Grumblers at Memorial fare will do well to remember that in 1637-39 Mrs. Nathaniel Eaton "provided very scantily for the students." She gave them bad fish, bread made of heated sour meal and denied them cheese "when they sent for it and although she had it in the house." Anextra order list was in vogue, one finds, as early as 1734. "The buttery came to be a recognized department of the college, where students could purchase provisions. beer, cider and other extras, in order that they might have no excuse for frequenting the public houses and taverns in the town. The butler was authorized to sell his wares at an advance of fifty per cent. beyond the current price and from this source derived a part of his salary. History repeats itself !

In those days absences were announced in Latin every Saturday and excuses were given in Latin. Common excuses were semel aegrotavi, bis invalui, detentus ab amicis, exoppido and tintinnabulum non andivi. One freshman, charged with three absences, replied: "Non ter, sed semel abfui; Carolus frater locked me up in the Buttery." The poor freshmen had a hard time of it indeed. No freshman could wear his hat in the college yard unless it rained, showed, or hailed, or unless his hands were full. No freshman could speak to a senior (and a senior for him meant any upper classman) with his hat on; or have it on in a senior's room, or in his own if a senior were there. All fresmen were obliged to run on errands at any time except in study hours or after nine in the evening. When on an errand he could make no unnecessary delay, neglect to make due return, or go away until dismissed by the person who sent him.

It is interesting to note that in 1736 old Jonathan Edwards was as much shocked at the corruption and lack of true godliness at Harvard as are his narrow-minded successors of the present day.

Mr. Thayer's historical sketch is on the whole very entertaining and useful. In its preparation he has made copious use of Quincy's History of the University, of the "Harvard Book" of "College Words and Customs" and of a series of articles by the late Professor Jacquinot. A few mistakes are noticeable usually due to insufficient information concerning the most recent changes. Such is the statement that the Signet is a senior society drawing its members from those who do not belong to the Pudding, that forensics are required of seniors, etc.

The book, price fifty cents, is for sale by Thurston, Sever, Amee and the Cooperative.