Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

The Freshman Crew.

The crew will begin sliding in a short time. Up to this time the work has been mainly a test of physique, after this it will be more a test of brains. The men have reached a stage which almost any man can reach by spending the necessary time; they will now begin on work which only picked men can master. Mr. Alexander will insist on men rowing with their heads. It has been said that in rowing men the essentials for success are in the proportion of brains 75 per cent., pluck, 20 per cent, and strength 5 per cent. Freshmen seldom appreciate this fact. They would be surprised to find how many small and comparatively weak men have rowed on university crews.

In brute strength the present freshman crew is no doubt far above the average; but some of the men look clumsy and it would be rash to say that the crew will be fast or that the big men will be the ones chosen for the races. The men are not at all definitely chosen. Constant changes are made. The men who rowed on the first crew yesterday were, stroke, Keyes, 161; 7, Davis 160; 6, Vail 180; 5, Kelton 193; 4, Earle 163; 3, Wood 159; 2, Hathaway 151, 1, Cummings 171. The average of this crew is 167 1 4 pounds-about ten pounds above the freshmen of last year, and about two pounds above the 'varsity crew of last year. Other men are Baldwin 133, Batchelder 158, Burgess 146, Doe 161, Ellsworth 161, Miller 147, Parker 154, Post 150, Slade 167, Tripp 149, Winslow 159, Cook 1621/2.