Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

University Crew.

Friday the crew did not row because Messrs. Keyes and Herrick were away. Thursday the crew was made up as follows: Goddard stroke; Jones 7, Lothrop 6, Upham 5, Keyes 4, Perkins 3, Hartridge 2, Herrick bow. The other candidates are Fitzhugh, Blanchard, Pulsifer, Watriss, Nelson and Powers. Longworth, who has been away for several weeks, will begin today. The crew are now rowing a full stroke-in parts. They began sliding a week ago. As he has with the body-work, Mr. Keyes is taking great pains with the leg work, to be sure that every man begins his stroke in the proper manner. The motions are all made distinct; namely, the swing of the body, the slide and the arm work. Mr. Keyes' idea of using the legs is that the slide should be started at the very beginning of the stroke, and stopped when the body is at the perpendicular; but he is determined that no one shall get into a habit of kicking out his slide and leaving his body out at the full reach. This is a very easy habit to get into and hard to get out of. One or two Harvard crews have got into it in the past. It is very much easier to get into this fault when the crew uses the leg work of Storrow than when it rows the old Bancroft stroke. When a crew has learned to hold the slide it can be taught to use the legs properly in a few weeks. It is a matter of months if the men learn to kick out their slides. To be on the safe side, Mr. Keyes will teach the men at first to hold the slide at the beginning. After the men have learned almost every other thing that will be expected of them, they will be coached on leg work as the true source of speed.