Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Book Review.

The beautiful exterior of Mr. G. E. Woodberry's "North Shore Watch" is eminently in keeping with its title and opening poem. The white back and marsh-green covers convey the very impression of wave foam and low white clouds upon sedgy pastures and weedy north shores.

The North Sea Watch is strikingly picturesque. A thousand spiritual expressions of shore, sea and sky enter it as well as the cry of human sorrow. It might have been written by a landscape painter, had any such the refined sentiment and deep feeling united with musical expression that Mr. Woodberry has. The North Shore Watch is a threnody for the young friend who died in '78, to whom the book is dedicated. All through the lament the final alexandrines surge and moan like the rhythmic ninth wave that beats upon every shore.

From anything so lovely it is difficult to make selection of loveliness. The whole poem is a succession of exquisite pictures and images, where such lines as these

"The slant light down the forest's muffled floor

With music vaulted o'er"-are not conspicuous, accompanied by so many of equal grace. Agathan is entirely different in design, but equally elevated in thought and feeling, and as artistic in form. It is a Greek play in iambic pentamenter. My Country, Italian Voluntarics, In the Shadow of Etna, Victor's Bird, and At Gibralter," all have the true poetic ring. Altogether the littler book is an addition to the world's library.

[The North Shore Watch and Other Poems. By George E. Woodberry, Houghton, Mifflin and Co].