The North American Review.

The North American Review for February has a varied and unusually attractive table of contents. Such extremes of moral outlook as Ouida's and Gail Hamilton's are here, although separated from each other by the chief bulk of the number. The Gladstone-Blaine controversy by Representative Mills, author of the Tariff Reduction bill is the leading article. It is in continuation of the Gladstone-Blaine duel in the January number, where those two advocates of opposing theories flourished their steels simultaneously and by mutual agreement. Mr. Mills tersely, and with sledge-hammer vigor, answers Mr. Blaine, arguing that protection leads to countless other ills besides the accumulation of wealth in the hands of the few. Great Britain has left us sadly in the lurch, he says, with her free trade. She has swept our vessels from the seas and is now carrying not only her own products to markets, but a large share of those of other countries.

"The Pope and Italy" is Gail Hamilton's contribution. She starts out with the assertion that two sovereigns contend upon her soil for dominion, although the poor Pope's contention can now scarcely be called by that name. King Humbert she calls "gracious," the Pope "beautiful."

"Electric Lighting and Public Safety" is a call for greater precautions in the use of electricity, and showing that foreign countries are more careful than we. "Newspapers Here and Abroad," by E. L. Godkin is, as its title indicates, a comparison of our own with foreign methods, ours being chiefly newsgathering, true and false, whereas foreigners devote themselves more to editorial writing. Mr. Godkin's paper has no expression of contempt for our contemporaneous journalism, that the Nation so often and justly indulges in. "The Doctrine of States' Rights" is advocated by Jeff. Davis. Erastus Wiman writes on "British Capital in the United States." Rev. Julius H. Ward discusses the "American Bishops of Today" and Ouida writes on Shelley in a trenchant style, which she adopts as an essayist and is so different from her romance manner. The remainder of the number is filled with the usual notes and comments in small type, the best of which is "Is Suicide a Sin?"