University Crew.

Having at last begun to row daily in the tank and go through the full motion on the fixed seat, the 'varsity crew are at last showing some signs of crew style and may now be criticized with a little reason. The crew is unquestionably hard at work in the first place, and the candidates are all showing rapid improvement though the crew is rather behindhand at present. The men are, on the whole, raw, and have had to be coached greatly on the rudiments. At this time of the year crews are frequently rowing with sliding seats, but this year the men are just beginning to break their arms on the fixed seats. Last year at this time the best oarsmen were pretty well known though several of them had not begun training; at present all the men who may be expected to row are at work, but there is very great doubt as to the men who are likely to row in the race. It would be difficult to pick out with any assurance even twelve men who have the best chances for seats. This evenness and general rawness of the material is a disadvantage in the fact that changes will probably be necessary pretty late in the season, though otherwise it is a healthful state of things.

It may be said also that the men look stockier than most crews and the average height of the candidates seem to be less than for several years. There is no lack of muscular strength among the men, though the strongest men are most inexperienced. The rowing is rather faulty at present, stiffness and awkwardness being visible in the rowing of almost every man. Following is a allots of the men with some criticisms on their rowing and general information:

On the first crew Powers '92 is stroke. Weighs about 160 and has rowed two years on his class crew, substitute last year on the 'varsity. He drops down too much on the recover.

Perkins '91, 7, captain. Has rowed three years, two of them on the 'varsity. Weight 168, slow at catch and finish.

Kelton '93, 6, 193 pounds. Rowed against Yale last year. Meets his oar and is somewhat slow at the finish.

Cummings '93, 5, 170 lbs. Rowed last year on the freshman crew. Clumsy, stiff, does not control his recover.

Shaw '94, 4, 190 lbs. Never sat in a boat. Doing pretty well but rows very short and cannot make an even swing from the hips on the recover.

Fitzhugh '91, 3, 180 lbs. Rowed on class crew last year. Slow, clumsy, unsteady on the recover and weak at the finish.

Vail '93, 2, 190 lbs. Rowed on freshman crew last year. Does pretty well but rows short.

Ellsworth '93, bow, 160. Never sat in a boat. Very unsteady on the recover.

Earle '93, bow, 160. Rowed on the freshman crew last year. Does pretty well.

Second crew. Watriss '92, stroke, 165. Rowed on freshman crew and substitute on 'varsity. Rather weak in the stomach and fails to get an easy swing.

Rantoul '92, 7, 165. Rowed two years on class crew. Substitute last year on 'varsity. Goes back too far and meets his oar.

Lynam, M. S., 6, 165. Has rowed at Bowdoin. Has the faults of a professional style. Does not control his recover or row his shoulders well back.

Jones '92, 5, 163. Rowed in class crew and substitute on the 'varsity. Slow at catch and finish. Does not get his oar into the water with snap.

Bartholomay L. S., 3, 160. Never sat in a boat but seems strong. He is improving fast but is rather unsteady on the recover.

Newell, '94, 2, 165. Never sat in a boat. Does pretty well but meets his oar and has the uneven swing of a new man.

Shea '94, bow, 165. Has rowed in the B. A. A. crew. Does not control his recover, nor let his arms swing out freely, but keeps them at a constant angle with his body so as to raise his oar high in the air at the full reach.