Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Boylston Chemical Club.

Dr. F. W. Richardson gave a very interesting lecture before the Boylston Chemical club last evening on "German Methods in the Study of Chemistry."

The German university, like so many other German enterprises, is a government institution and the university system is well nigh perfect. The instruction differs from that usually given in our American universities in that the regular professors give instructions in the most elementary parts of the science, while the research is conducted by the youger men.

The most remarkable thing about the German chemist is the remarkable persistency with which he clings to a particular branch of work. The result is that we get an immense amount of material in the way of facts from the Germans, but the theories to which these facts are the stepping stones are largely due to the French, English and Italians, who do less special work, but more in the way of generalization.

The American student is treated with great consideration at the German universities, and while the elementary part of the science is as well given in America as in Germany, the chance for research is not so good here in America as abroad.