No Headline

The Yale papers seem entirely to fail to understand our position in regard to the race question. Last year, after we had sent our challenge, they replied with a conditional acceptance, which caused much argument and some ill feeling. The condition named by them was that the race should be rowed upon a certain date. Moreover, owing to the fact that all the conditions for the race were not agreed upon until the last moment, our crew was obliged to yield a point at the very start, and consequently had to row the race with the moral disadvantage of having the men in the Yale boat practically ahead of the Harvard crew. This year naturally the boat club desires that all points should be settled in advance; for it seems entirely reasonable that such questions should be settled before Yale's challenge is officially and definitely settled. The simple gist of the matter is, that Harvard does not wish to bind herself to row a race until she knows definitely and finally what the conditions and arrangements are, especially when the arrangements in dispute are so vital as they are in this case. The race, we hope, will be rowed. It is only very lately that there has seemed to be any doubt of its being rowed. It is to be hoped that an amicable adjustment of the points in dispute will soon be reached.