Rowing News.

During the past week several changes have taken place in the 'varsity crew. Hartridge, '90, has been sick for some days and has not been rowing. Watriss, '92, and Powers, '92, have been rowing quite regularly in the boat; Powers always at No. 2 and Watriss at every place on the port side, On Monday the crew rowed in the gymnasium, Mr. Keyes coaching. Tuesday they went down to the river: Hartridge being absent, Watriss got in at 2 and Finlay at 4. The day was excessively windy and the water rough, but they rowed down almost to the Harvard bridge. The rowing was far from satisfactory; the time was poor, the oars clumsily handled and the starboard side rowing much more weakly than the port side.

Thursday the crew were again on the river; Tilton being absent, Watriss rowed 6 and Powers 2. After some spins in front of the boat house, Keyes L. S. got out and Herrick '90 took the bow oar. Mr. Keyes '87 coached from a pair-oar which he steered. They went up a few hundred yards above the stonecutter's wharf at a stroke of 22 or 23 to the minute. The form of the crew was an improvement over their work on Tuesday, but the port side caught the water sooner than the starboard and the port men being more powerful the boat gave a vicious lurch to starboard every stroke. Yesterday the crew rowed up as far as the Brighton abattoir; Tilton rowing 6 and Watriss stroke. The disparity between the sides was diminished but the rowing was very rough. The faults are too numerous to mention; some of them are as follows: stroke hunches his shoulders at the catch thereby weakening his stroke greatly; 7 is unsteady in his time; 6 goes back too far and is slow with his hands; 5 has a serious hang and is slow at the catch; 4 bends his arms too soon, keeps bad time, rows his oar high in the air on the recover and often feathers under water on account of an uncertain finish; 3, slow with his hands; bow slow at the finish and weak at the catch. Following are the names and latest weights: Goddard 181, Jones 161, Tilton 191. Upham 1901/2, Finlay 1921/2, Perkins 167, Powers 160, Herrick 168, Watris 164, Keyes 175, Nelson 164.