Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

No Headline

The Calendar has been crowded lately with announcements of lectures and conferences, many of which have been of the greatest interest to undergraduates. None, however, could promise a discussion of deeper and more general interest than Mr. Salter's lecture this evening, under the auspices of the Philosophical Club. The lecture, on the subject, "What Ethics can Do for us" will also be of a practical benefit to men, in guiding them in their choice of elective courses. Mr. Salter is a native of Iowa. He was graduated at Knox-College and afterwards studied at the Yale Divinity School. From Yale he came to the Harvard Divinity School and then went to Gottenberg. Upon his return he became interested in the ethical work of Professor Adler, of New York and decided that this must be his life task.

When he moved to Chicago two years later he became the leader of the Ethical Culture Society, whose adlierents believe that morality has a basis of its own, independent of all theological beliefs. Mr. Salter's work as the leader of the society in Chicago has many practical expressions. Through his influence and advocacy the economic councils for the purpose of bringing together the capitalists and laborers in conference were established in the city. As leader of this society in Chicago, Mr. Salter is in constant touch with all social classes. After the trial of the anarchists Mr. Salter, impelled altogether by what he considered the interests of judicial fair play, in the face of the feverish excitement and prejudices of the people, risked his popularity and influence by taking a leading part in the attempt to have some of the sentences commute. His deep study of philosophy and strong personality ought to attract a large audience this evening.