Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

New Englander and Yale Review

The most interesting feature to Harvard men in the February number of the New Englander and Yale Review is the article by William L. Kingsley on "Yale a National University." The substance of his arguments is as follows:

Among the 1477 students, now in residence, nearly every state in the Union is represented and this has been uniformly the fact for the past ninety or hundred years. The summary shows that thirty-six of the thirty-eight states are represented at Yale as well as four territories, Canada, England, Hawaii, Japan, Wales, Turkey and France.

The professors and instructors have been selected from a wide range of other universities and institutions of learning, and the same liberality has been shown in the selection of these instructors from all religious denominations. Naturally the largest number are Congregationalists, but there are also representatives from the Baptist and Methodist denominations; from the Roman Catholic church, and perhaps even from others. The same thing is true of the students themselves. They come from families belonging to all denominations and have clubs made up of members from all the principal preparitory schools in the land. These facts may be characteristic of other colleges as well as Yale, but nowhere to such an extent. And this was the case a hundred years ago. In the catalogue for 1839-40 every state in the union, except Indiana and Arkansas, was represented and also Canada, West Inda, Greece, Ireland and Brazil. The halls of congress have continually been thronged with Yale graduates, and in 1865 while five presidents of New England colleges were Harvard men, eleven came from Yale. At that time she also furnished twenty two presidents to colleges out of New England.

"It is for reasons such as these," says the writer, "that Yale gained long ago the title of the 'National University,' which it still maintains." He has, however, no disposition to criticize Harvard-an old ally.