To the Freshman Class.

As you have not as a class subscribed freely to your crew, I will make a few statements as to the management and needs of the crew, trusting that when you thoroughly understand the matter you will not let the crew suffer for lack of the necessary funds.

The freshman crew has necessarily large expenses. They must buy a targe, shell, oars, etc, all of which become the property of the class and are used by the class crew in future years.

The crew is kept in training a long time and the training table is unavoidably expensive. The expenses at New London are necessarily heavy. There is the rent of the cottage, pay of cook cost of provisions, etc.

All this, though conducted in a most economical plan, will cost upwards of two thousand dollars.

Every precaution has been taken to guard against extravagance. The estimate for the year has been approved by the graduate treasurer and the books are carefully kept.

Now the crew much be run on a cash basis or not at all. Every dollar with-held from the estimated amount will cut down the time the crew can spend at New London, and thus take away from their effectiveness.

I trust that this will be enough to make every member of the class feel that he should make some small sacrifice for the honor of his college and his class.

ROBERT F. HERRICK.