Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Judge Smith.

Judge Jeremiah Smith, recently appointed professor in the Law School, is descended from one of the old New Hampshire families. His father, Jeremiah Smith, was born at Peterboro, N. H., and while yet in his "teens" was at the battle of Bennington under Stark. The elder Smith entered upon the practice of law at Peter borough, afterwards removed to Exeter and was appointed chief justice of New Hampshire, a position he held until 1815. Judge Smith was twice married, his second wife, Miss Hale of Dover, being the mother of the present Judge, who was born about 1836.

Judge Smith has always lived in Dover and Lee. He graduated from Harvard in 1856, and entered the Law School, but left before finishing his course, to study in the office of Daniel M. Christie, of Dover.

Before he was thirty years old Judge Smith received an appointment to the supreme court of his state and filled the position for ten years. Since then he has devoted himself to his practice. He has never tried jury cases but has won an extended reputation for legal ability and character.