Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

Book Review.

"In a Club Corner" is the title of the latest work of Mr. A. P. Russell, the author of "A Club of One," "Library Notes," etc. It is the "monologue of a man who might have been sociable," and is fully up to the author's earlier works: the subjects touched are extremely interesting, and cover almost every field of human thought. The book, however, contains very little original matter; it is merely an excellent proof of the extent of Mr. Russel's careful reading. Almost each conversation-and there are about sixty in all-is composed entirely of short anecdote and sayings, illustrative of the author's remarks. For instance, the very first conversation, entitled "conversation," is a series of anecdotes and experiences told by, or happening to, celebrated personages, all tending to show the value of the power of conversation. Perhaps the two most interesting talks are those on Garrick and Sheridan; they are nothing more than anecdote after anecdote, no critical analysis of the men: still they cannot fail to impress the reader. Here and there we find a touch of orginality, perhaps in no conversation more than in "essays in titles."

[In a Club Corner. By A. P. Russell. 1 vol. Boston and New York, Houghton, Mifflin and Co., 1890. 328 pp. $1.25,]