Annual Report Finds Harvard Kennedy School Faculty Remains Largely White, Male

Harvard Square Celebrates Oktoberfest

Harvard Corporation Members Donated Big to Democrats in 2020 Elections

City Council Candidates Propose Strategies for Supporting Low-Income Residents at Virtual Forum

FAS Dean Gay Hopes to Update Affiliates on Ethnic Studies Search by Semester’s End

No Headline

We mentioned, yesterday, one annoyance that is endured, though unwillingly by those of us who frequent the gymnasium. But, as John B. Gough used to remark of the cold-water question, "it is a large subject," and perhaps a few words more will not be out of place.

As the winter advances and more and more use is made of the gymnasium, a venerable topic of discussion puts in an appearance again. Complaints about the bathing facilities at the gymnasium are heard on every hand, it is only with the hope of explaining the reasons for these laments that we attack the subject. It is a matter of interest to all. Everybody has had some experience with the coy willfulness of those faucets and pipes. Everybody knows what a delight it is to linger shivering and half-frozen, waiting for a drop or two of warm water, and finally in despair to dash under the ice-cold stream in place of something more agreeable. And everybody knows that it is the proper thing to complain of the gymnasium officials. But everybody does not know that in the present condition of affairs it is impossible to supply an adequate amount of heated water during the crowded hours of exercise from four to six o'clock in the afternoon. The boilers now in use have not sufficient heating surface. The best is done that can be done with the machinery in present use.

There is but one remedy that may be applied. There must be a new swimming tank, with all the necessary bathing facilities in one and the same building, to which structure all the lockers, also, should be removed. A fund has been started for the erection of such an edifice, to be built just back of the gymnasium and in close connection with it, in fact forming part of it. This fund now amounts to about twenty thousand dollars, but thirty thousand must be contributed before the foundations can be laid. Here then is a chance for our complainers to prove themselves generous benefactors to the university by subscribing to this fund. It is hoped that the new building will be erected in spring. Until that time we must submit to the inevitable, be "the models of all patience and say nothing."