Harvard Defeats Yale.

AN EXCITING GAME ON HOLMES FIELD.

The Harvard nine won a creditable victory over Yale Saturday afternoon on Holmes. Comparatively few Yale men accompanied the team, and the crowd, which was a very large one, was enthusiastically for Harvard.

Harvard outplayed Yale at nearly every point, far out-batting and outfielding her. Stagg was in the box and was hit hard, only five Harvard men striking out. His support behind the bat was admirable, but in the infield and outfield many inexcusable errors were made. Harvard, on the other hand, fielded well and batted in fine form. Yale ran bases with more spirit than Harvard, and another weak point of the latter was her coaching, which was poor, especially when a runner was on third. Downer, although deserving much praise for his steadiness in the latter part of the game, was very wild in the beginning, and gave Yale several unearned runs outright. The batting of Howland and Linn was noteworthy, and Dean's home run won the game.

Yale was first at the bat. Stagg got first on Frothingham's fumble, but was thrown out at second. Calhoun got his base on balls, stole second, and scored on Dalzell's single. McBride got his base on balls, and took second on the hit of Dalzell. Both were advanced a base on the attempt to put Calhoun out at the plate, and they came in on Poole's lucky double to left. McClung's sacrifice advanced Poole to third, and he scored on Dean's fumble of Cushing's grounder. The latter was thrown out at second.

Harvard. Dean hit a liner to centre, who muffed. Dean stole second and scored on Linn's hit to right. Poole dropped the ball at the plate and Linn took second. McBride threw wildly across the diamond, and Linn reached home. Howland was out, Stagg to McBride. Trafford made a hit to left, and was thrown out at second on Alward's grounder. Alward took second and third on a wild pitch, and home on McBride's muff of McClung's throw. Upton reached first on the error, but was left, Mason flying out to left.

Second inning: McClintock got his base on balls, second on Owsley's hit, third on a passed ball, and was thrown out by Downer at the plate. Owsley hitting safely, got to second on the passed ball, third on Calhoun's grounder, and home on McBride's single to left. Stagg was caught at third by Upton, and Calhoun was forced out at the plate. Frothingham and Downer hit safely, but Dean struck out, and a double play on Linn's fly to right retired the side.

In the third and fourth Yale went out in order. In the third Howland hit to left, stole second, took third on a wild pitch, and scored on Calhoun's muff of a thrown ball. Trafford struck out. Alward got his base on balls, stole second, took third on Calhoun's error, and home on short's fumble of Downer's grounder. Mason struck out and Dear flied out to left.

In the fourth Linn made a three bagger to right, and scored on Howland's three base hit to left. Howland came in on a wild pitch.

In the fifth inning for Yale, McBride struck out. Dalzell got his base on balls, second on Poole's hit, third on McClung's hit, and home on a passed ball. Poole took second on McClung's hit, third on the passed ball, and home on McClintock's hit. This run tied the score. In Harvard's half Downer hit safely to left, took second on Dean's single, but was thrown out at third by left field. Dean hit safely, reached second on Linn's fly which was dropped by left, third and home on Howland's difficult fly, which was also muffed by left field.

Harvard was blanked in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings. In the seventh Yale tied the score. Poole and McClung struck out. Cushing hit safely, stole second and third, and came in on McClintock's single.

In Harvard's half of the ninth, with the score tied, Frothingham led off with a single to left. Downer knocked a grounder to short, who threw Frothingham out at second. Downer was safe on first. Dean came to the bat and made a home run beyond the willows. Downer scored the winning run. The score:

HARVARD.

AB R IB TB SB PO A B

Dean, ss. 5 2 2 5 2 2 3 1

Linn, rf. 5 2 2 4 0 0 0 0

Howland, cf. 5 2 2 4 1 3 0 0

Trafford, 1b. 4 0 1 1 0 6 0 0

Alward, 3b. 4 2 0 0 2 2 2 0

Upton, c. 4 0 0 0 1 10 4 0

Mason, lf. 5 0 0 0 0 2 0 0

Frothingham, 2b. 4 0 2 2 0 2 0 2

Downer. p. 5 1 2 2 1 0 13 1

Totals 41 9 11 18 7 27 22 4

YALE.

AB R IB TB SB PO A B

Stagg, p. 4 0 0 0 0 0 9 0

Calhoun, 2b. 3 1 0 0 2 2 1 1

McBride, 1b. 4 1 1 1 1 4 0 2

Dalzell, cf. 3 2 1 1 0 1 0 3

Poole, c. 5 2 2 3 0 9 1 1

McClung, ss. 5 0 1 1 0 0 4 2

Cuching, rf. 4 1 1 1 2 1 1 0

McClintock, lf. 3 0 2 2 2 5 2 2

Owsley, 3b. 4 1 1 1 0 3 0 2

Totals 35 8 9 10 7 25 18 13

Winning run made with one man out.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Harvard 3 0 2 2 1 0 0 0 1 9

Yale 4 1 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 8

Earned runs, Harvard 2, Yale 2; two base hit, Poole; three base hits, Linn, Howland; home run. Dean; base on balls, Dean, Trafford, Alward, Upton, Frothingham, Stagg, Calhoun (2), McBride, Dalzell (2), McClintock,; base on errors, Harvard 8, Yale 3; struck out, Dean, Trafford (2), Mason (2), Stagg, McBride, Dalzell (2), Poole (2), McClung, McClintock, Owsley; double plays, Downer-Alward-Upton, Cushing-Poole, McClintock-Poole; passed balls, Upton 2; wild pitches, Downer, Stagg 4; left on bases, Harvard 11, Yale 7; out on bases, Harvard 6, Yale 7; flies caught, Harvard 8, Yale 8; foul caught, Yale; time, 3 1-2 hrs; umpires, Bond of Boston and Quinn of New York.