Communication.

We invite all members of the University to contribute to this column, but we are not responsible for the sentiments expressed.

EDITORS DAILY CRIMSON: Have the enthusiastic supporters of flooding Holmes Field for skating purposes ever considered the serious disadvantages of the scheme in its consequences?

In the first place, it will take a considerable depth - perhaps three feet or more - to cover amply all the undulations and irregularities on the surface of such a large field. This means a considerable expense. The second and by far more serious objection is that as the soil of Holmes Field is more or less clay-ey, such a large bulk of water will not only disappear very fast, but will also be swelled considerably by the drainage of the surrounding land; for Holmes Field is on a much lower level than the gymnasium ground or North Avenue or Jarvis Street. Hence, there will be a large sheet of water there, which will not only prevent the use of the field till quite late in the season, but which will also become dangerous through stagnation.

Let the gentlemen who conceive such novel schemes, look at both sides of the question before advocating their plans so ardently before the college.

K.