Candidates for the Nine.

Since Wednesday of last week the candidates for the 'varsity nine have practiced daily on Holmes field. As yet little has been done except to give the new men practice in fielding and batting to see what new material there is. No regular games will be played this fall, but the men will be kept in practice as long as the weather permits. The number of men who have presented themselves as candidates is small; owing to many being engaged in football and other sports; so that work will not begin in earnest until next spring. The men all seem to have some idea of the game but play carelessly. For catcher, Bell, '92, is the only candidate. For pitcher, there are Wiggin, '92, Young, '94, Williams, '94. and Howe, '93, who pitched successfully against the Yale freshmen last spring. The candidates for the infield are, first base, Nicola, '92, Coburn, '94, Gilman, '94; second, Lowell, '92; for third there are three candidates, Austrian, '91, who played on his class team, Cook, '92, and Kent, '94; short stop, Homans and Soule, '93; outfield, Flynn, '94, and Beals, '94. The candidates will practice, hereafter, at three instead of 3.30.