Honors in English.

It seems to be settled that before next year changes will be made in the English requirements, which will directly affect candidates for honors in that department. At present such a candidate has to have (1) a scientific knowledge of the origin and development of the English Language and Literature. (2) a general acquaintance with English Literature. (3) Proficiency in English Composition. Although no hard and fast rules have been made as to these requirements, it is pretty well understood that a candidate, in selecting the six full courses required for honors, must bear in mind the object of the department.

Now, although a knowledge of Historical English Grammar, (Course XIX) is not required, and probably will not be, it is the almost unanimous opinion of the English instructors that a knowledge of Anglo-Saxon should be demanded of a candidate. This knowledge may not be a deep one, but it should be such as is gained in a half-course (English III). Inasmuch as the Anglo-Saxon roots form a substantial part of our English language, it is proper that a successful candidate should understand the elements of the Anglo-Saxon language.

Hence, it may be expected that the proposed change will take place. Professor Hill is the only member of the English department who has not been consulted. His absence in Europe will delay any action, but it is probable that he will agree with his colleagues in this matter. The change will then take place at the beginning of the next collegiate year.