John Harvard's College.

Mr. Winsor's last letter from London to the Nation treats of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, the old Puritan college where John Harvard took his degree. All traces of the college buildings as they stood in John Harvard's day have disappeared with the exception of one of the old outer walls. The green quadrangle seemed to call for a Statue of John Harvard such as now stands on the Delta. All that Emmanuel College has in the way of an effigy of Harvard is a stained glass figure in one of the refectory windows. This compares very poorly in dignity with our statue. The only record of John Harvard's writing at Emmanuel is an account book in which the students used to enter items of debit with the bursar. There is one entry in this book signed by John Harvard; and Mr. Winsor compared to his satisfaction this signature with those in the registry of the university which Harvard signed when he took his degrees of Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts. The degrees are still conferred by the vice-chancellor in all his robes. He makes a Latin address in almost the identical language used by President Eliot every Commencement in Sanders Theatre.

It often happens that lectures at Emmanuel College are delivered in the dining hall before the tables are set for dinner. It was here under the stained glass figure of John Harvard that Mr. Winsor heard a lecture from the historian, Professor Creighton. At one of these lectures Mr. Winsor met a recent graduate of the Harvard Annex who spoke very highly of the work done in history at Emmanuel by Professor Creighton, and also spoke very warmly of the work of Professor Hart at the "Annex."