Oberlin's New President.

At the annual meeting of the trustees of Oberlin College, held on Wednesday of this week, W. G. Ballantine, D. D., was on the unanimous nomination of the faculty unanimously elected to the presidency of the college. The new president was born at Washington, D. C., December 7, 1848. His boyhood was spent in Cincinnati, Ohio, where his father was professor of Hebrew in Lane Theological Seminary. He graduated from Marietta College in 1868. In 1872 he graduated from Union Theological Seminary, New York, and the same year entered upon post-graduate study at the University of Leipsic. At the end of a year there he interrupted his studies to join the first American Palestine party. From 1874 to 1876 he was professor of natural history and chemistry in Ripon College, Wisconsin. From 1876 to 1878 he was professor of Greek in the University of Indiana, In 1878 he was called to Oberlin to assist Professor Morgan as professor of Greek and Hebrew Exegesis. This position he held for two years, when that work was divided and he was elected professor of Old Testament language and literature, which chair he has held to the present time.

He was made Doctor of Divinity by his Alma Mater in 1887. Since 1884 he has been one of the editors of the Bibliotheca Sacra.

Professor Ballantine has taken high rank as a practical teacher. His breadth of culture brings him into sympathy with all departments of the college, and it is felt that his election means the development of the college in every direction.