The February Outing.

The February number of the Outing contains an article on "College Football" by Walter Camp, which is accompanied by a very good full page illustration of the Harvard football team of 1890. The article consists mainly of a review of the last exciting season in football athletics which has served not only to educate our own teams but has furnished many object lessons to representatives of English and Canadian teams sent here expressly to witness our college contests.

Mr. Camp speaks of the early start which was made in the season and the enthusiasm with which it was begun. Harvard, outside of the league formed a powerful freelance. "Following the career of Harvard, we find the strongest example of what hard work and earnest enthusiasm will do toward producing a winning football team. When Mr. Cumnock became Captain of the Harvard team two years ago he inaugurated an era of football energy which, although it brought not victory the first year, laid the foundations for success in 1890. In no way led astray by the thought that a veteran team would easily win, he pursued the same policy of developing not only a strong second eleven, but encouraging in every possible way the production of more material and stimulating a healthy popularity for the sport among all classes. In the early games of the season his team piled up touchdowns and goals upon every team they met with such astonishing ease and rapidity that it might easily have turned the heads of less earnest men. But these men had a hearty respect for the opponents they knew would face them at Springfield and they left no stone unturned in their steadiness of purpose."

After a short account of the game, the writer passes next to the state of affairs at Yale and the progress made during the fall there. The first games, against Wesleyan and the Crescents, has been discouraging but gradual and steady progress culminated in victory over Princeton in the championship game on Thanksgiving Day.

The team which suffered defeat at New York on that day had one of the hardest seasons ever encountered by an eleven and "few outside of those who follow every game have any conception of the struggle which Captain Poe went through."

The article closes with a short summary of the games played outside of the association, including such colleges as Williams, Amherst, Dartmouth, Bowdoin, Cornell, Columbia, Lehigh, Lafayette, etc., and such athletic clubs as the Crescents, the Oranges, and the new teams of the West Point Military and Annapolis Naval Academies.

Another article of interest to students is "Undergraduates as Oarsmen at Oxford," by Chase Mellen, B. A., the coach of the Columbia crew.